Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, October 28

Whatcha Gonna Be....

For Halloween? So remembering last Halloween, I was little skeptical about purchasing any costumes for the kids. I went to a resale event in September and found a Buzz Lightyear costume for $4 for Drew and thought that since he was so into Woody and Toy Story, it would satisfy his costume needs. When I showed it to him, he acted scared of it. Oh great, hear we go. I think my kids are the only ones who hate dressing up! I didn't even attempt to buy Kelsey a costume...but I have been asking her what she wants to be for Halloween and for the first week she would change her mind every day. Disney Jr. has been playing a lot of Halloween cartoons and she loves all the pumpkin decorations. This week though she's been telling me she wants to be a princess. But all she seems to care about is wearing a tiara (which she calls a teira). Our sitter made her a cute frilly tulle dress and I have a pink feather boa and a fairy wand. So I decided to bring it all with us. Drew had been talking about being a spider, not Spiderman per se. I turned his coat inside out to make it black and added spider legs! We had dinner with friends and then night time  trick or treating in their subdivision on Saturday. My hope was that they would see the other kids getting their costumes on and want to participate too! Otherwise it is so cold that they will have to be bundled up and no one will really know if they are dressed up underneath:)

Of course the opposite of what I was worried about happened. Drew was scared of the spider I made him or upset that I converted his coat; I'm not sure. And as soon as Kelsey saw other kids dressing up, she wanted to be everything the other kids were. Kelsey walked the WHOLE subdivision, walking up to each house, after she got the hang of where to go and what to say. She jumped right in with the older kids. Drew took more breaks in the wagon, had some candy, and wasn't totally into the Halloween thing. My favorite thing about the trick or treating in this subdivision is that they put barricades up at the 3 entrances so there are no cars to worry about.

Drew slept through most of the trick or treat yesterday. But Kelsey was loving it again. She would walk up to the house with grandma or Auntie "Sandra", turn around after she got the goods and yell to me, "Mom! I got some more!" It was a bit more chilly yesterday than Saturday night. (This morning Kelsey grabbed her treat bag to bring to the sitter's, and of course I had emptied it. She looked in it and said, "candy all gone. I gotta get some more!" Oh dear, I may have opened a can of worms!)

Our friends, Aidan the ninja turtle and his dad, Tom, the pink bunny!
Hey, that costume was genius - he was warm and toasty the whole night.


Drew's costume was big enough to sneak snow pants under to keep him
warm. He also called his outfit a robot - I guess a space robot.


No comments:

Post a Comment